Thursday, November 26, 2009

Vertical Change

It was inevitable. I knew the day was coming, I just didn't think it would be this soon. All my adult life it has been clear that this would be my fate.

As the trauma of turning 45 has gradually drifted away and dissolved into a peaceful acceptance, bam! It happened.

I am now officially the shortest member of my family. I was running errands with my daughter Lauren and, uncharacteristic for me (and never to happen again I might add) I was wearing flat shoes. Imagine the shock and horror to realize that my 13 year old was looking down at me as we spoke.

When did that happen? The boys were no big deal. I expected them to be tall. I mean, I did marry a man who stands a foot taller then me so I had sort of hoped I would have boys of decent physical stature. But my baby girl? I can just feel the hair turning grey under my latest dye job!

I should be happy that she will be blessed with gorgeous looks and long legs. I am happy, albeit concerned for different reasons....

It's just that I barely survived high school being 'affectionately' called midget, munchkin, and teeny tiny tina and I loved having children who physically looked up to me. It is a whole lot easier to bark orders and have people do my bidding when I'm looking down at them. So what if they were children! Lord knows I didn't have that kind of clout anywhere else.

Fortunately for me I can buy a little more time. I have 5 inch heels. I remain a force with which to be reckoned.

Besides, TnT comes in small packages too!

No comments: